One of the perks of the semi-single life this year has been that I’ve caught two Rosie and the Ramblers shows in the last couple weeks. They play at the White Horse every other Monday night but I never make their shows as they play at midnight (doesn’t anyone have a day job anymore?!). So it’s a treat to catch them on the weekend or at a reasonable hour (now I just sound old).
I first saw Rosie and the Ramblers play because the Alaskan boy’s brother played in the band. I immediately developed a friend crush on the front woman, Selena. I don’t think anyone can watch her play without also having this issue. It’s hard not to notice the intensity and far away looks she croons her powerful ballads with and every sassy song is performed with an undeniable smirk. You get the feeling she’s laughing at her own joke when she sings funny tunes like Minivan and you’ll probably be laughing with her. Her songs are well-written and poignant, sung from a surprisingly powerful voice.
So, to sum this up this is one of the perks of my summer and it should be yours too. Check it out! New album, Whatever You Need, coming out in May!
- Had a lovely calm evening on Friday where I got to have along, much needed phone chat with my sweetheart.
- Getting to see dear friend and old roommate, Ben, and wish him congrats! on his college graduation.
- Dancing (although not exactly two-stepping) with an over the top dancer at the White Horse on Saturday. No one has danced with me like that since Gero left for Germany and I got to tell you, it’s pretty fantastic! It involved alot of being lifted up and spun around. Pretty great!
- A brunch complete with clothing swap!
- Sunday afternoon at Barton Springs. There’s really no better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
- Fast and the Furious 6. I know! It’s embarrassing but in case you were interested I’ll tell you: this movie is all that would expect. And more. You’ll laugh when you’re supposed to laugh. You’ll laugh when you’re supposed to cry. You’ll leave energized and have a dance party by yourself in your apartment at 1 am. On a scale of 1-10 how bad is it that I’m currently thinking of re-watching the old ones? Never mind, don’t tell me. Embarrassing guilty pleasures die hard. Fast and The Furious 6 Trailer
- A chat with my girl, Nelli. Sometimes, all you need in the world is to talk to someone who really knows you. Someone you can pick up a conversation with as if you’ve never been apart. I can’t remember now how many years it’s been since I’ve seen her last- 3? 4 years? Our talks are never as frequent as I’d like but each one is always special and gives me an extra burst of hope and joy for the world.
This is what I think of when I think of Nelli and I. Dancing, just us.
I am a fan of all things East Side Austin. Current fave music venue on the east side is definitely the new and always packed White Horse. Hole in the Wall regulars followed their favorite bartender Dennis O’Donnell to his new bar (as in he owns it, not just tends bar), White Horse. This place has been packed from the git-go. I went the first night they had liquor (actually not the first night they were open strangely enough) and was instantly charmed by the comfortably large dark space. I watched two separate ceiling panels fall on customers but each of these incidents was handled quickly and with whiskey. Since then the ceiling seems to remain in tact. Better luck next time, folks.
For a crowded place, it rarely feels uncomfortably packed. There’s a small but good selection of beers on tap as well as bottled beers. Lonestars and whiskey rule the roost. The dance floor is kept busy with two-steppin’ fools and other follies. Check out regular players: Mike and the Moonpies or Rosie and the Ramblers.
This weekend I was lucky enough to see White Ghost Shivers. I think this video speaks for itself.
Yes, that banjo player is 7 feet tall.