I had heard about Fermental since I moved to Wilmington but I rarely venture past the downtown or midtown area here. With Hey Beer and Bombers within a few minutes of my house, I didn’t feel much reason to venture out down Market that far.
That seems to have most definitely been a mistake. Now that I’ve visited the adorable house-turned-store once I’ll have to go back. Inside the walls are lined with racks of wine and shelves of beer. There is no wall space being underutilized, no room not filled to its capacity. You walk from room to room, each leading into the other, in constant surprise at how many delicious treasures a small room can hold.
We visited this weekend during Fermental’s third anniversary. It was an incredible celebration with what seemed to be at least twelve rotating taps at any one time. We had the opportunity to try several beers between the three of us.
- Prairie Artisan Farmhouse Raspberry Ale
- Delicious but rather sweet to drink a whole pint of
- Knee Deep Imperial IPA
- If you don’t LOVE hops, keep your distance. Just bringing your nose to the glass will knock you off your feet! This is a plus for me.
- Highland Devils Britches Red IPA
- Pretty tasty, not overly hoppy.
- Terrapin Cinnamon Wake n Bake Oatmeal Stout
- I hate a stout but my companions loved this one.
- Oskar Blues Cask Peach IPA
- Loved this one! It was fruity, flavorful and well-spiced. I wish I could find it again…
Now I’m going to have to go back because between the Catch foodtruck, trying beers and the live music I didn’t have a chance to purchase wine ice cream or hop chocolate. What??